10/09/2005

AFI #020 Peter Finch as Howard Beale from Network (1976)

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be! We know things are bad - worse than bad, They're crazy! It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone!' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone! I want you to get MAD! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad! You've got to say, "I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!" So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now, and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell: "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

- Peter Finch as Howard Beale from Network (1976)

The bolded line is ranked #19 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.

난 일이 잘못되어 간다고 말할 필요가 없어요. 모든 사람이 잘못되고 있음을 알죠. 불황입니다. 모든 사람이 직장에서 내몰리거나, 일자리를 잃어버릴까봐 두려워하고 있죠. 돈의 가치는 떨어지고, 은행은 파산하고, 상점주인은 카운터 아래에 총을 숨겨두고 있습니다. 펑크족들은 거리에서 제멋대로 뛰어다니고, 무엇을 해야할지 아는 사람은 아무도 없어 보입니다. 이러한 일들은 끝이 없어 보입니다. 공기는 숨쉬기 부적당하고, 음식은 먹기 부적당합니다. 우리가 앉아서 오늘 하루 15건의 살인사건과 63건의 폭력사건이 발생하였다는 지역뉴스를 TV에서 보며 당연하게 생각합니다. 우리는 일이 잘못되었음을 압니다. 잘못된 것 보다 더 나쁘죠. 그들은 제 정신이 아닙니다. 모든 곳이, 모든 것이 미쳐가는 것 처럼 보입니다. 그래서 우리는 어디도 나갈 수 없습니다. 우리는 집에 머무르고, 점차 우리가 살아가는 세상은 좁아집니다. 우리 모두는 말하죠. '제발 거실에 혼자 있게 내버려둬. 토스터와 TV 그리고 금속 띠를 두른 레이디얼만 갖게 해 주면 나는 아무 말도 하지 않을거야. 단지 나를 혼자 내버려둬!' 난 여러분을 혼자 남겨두지 않을 겁니다. 난 여러분이 화를 내게 만들고 싶습니다. 난 여러분들이 저항하기를 원치 않습니다. 난 여러분들이 폭동을 일으키기를 원치 않습니다. 난 내가 당신들이 무엇을 쓸지 모르기 때문에 국회의원에게 편지를 쓰기를 원치 않습니다. 나는 불황에, 인플레이션에, 러시아인들에, 길거리의 범죄에 대해 무엇을 해야 할지 모릅니다. 내가 아는 모든 것은 첫째, 여러분들이 화를 내야한다는 것입니다! 여러분들은 말해야 합니다. "나는 인간이다! 나의 인생은 가치가 있다!"라고. 그래서 나는 여러분들이 지금 일어나기를 원합니다. 여러분들 모두가 자리을 박차고 일어서기를 원합니다. 지금 당장 일어나서 창가로 가서 창을 여십시오. 그리고 당신의 머리를 내밀고 외치십시오. "난 정말 화가 나. 더이상 참을 수 없어!" 난 여러분들이 지금 당장 일어나기를 원합니다. 자리에서 일어나 창가로 가십시오. 창을 열고 머리를 내밀어 외치십시오. "난 정말 화가 나. 더이상 참을 수 없어!" 모든 건 바뀌어야 합니다. 그러나 우선 화를 내십시오. 여러분들은 말해야 합니다. '난 정말 화가 나. 더이상 참을 수 없어!' 그러고나면 우리는 불경기와 인플레이션, 그리고 오일 위기에서 무엇을 해야할지 생각해낼 것입니다. 그러나 먼저 자리에서 일어나, 창문을 열고, 머리를 내밀어 소리지르십시오. 그리고 말하세요. 난 정말 화가 나. 더이상 참을 수 없어!

- 하워드 빌 (피터 핀치), 네트워크 (1976)

No comments:

Post a Comment